Set against the epic violence of the Trojan War, Holding Achilles by David Morton is a refreshing take on one of the ancient world’s best-known heroes, and his relationship with Patroclus, his not so well-known lover.
This breathtaking new production from visual theatre masterminds Dead Puppet Society and physical theatre virtuosos Legs On The Wall reclaims the queer aspects of The Iliad. Set to a haunting new score performed live by Montaigne, composed with Tony Buchen and Chris Bear, this innovative new work blends heightened physicality and visual storytelling with an ensemble cast to weave a legend of mythic proportions. A tale of trials, grief and love – Holding Achilles is an epic tale about a fearless bond forged in the toughest of times.
As a young exile taken in by Achilles’ father, Patroclus faces hostility from the young hero until they are thrust together to train under the centaur Chiron, and the two form an unlikely friendship. As Achilles doggedly seeks to fulfil his mother’s prophecy to become a legend, their relationship becomes something more. But war with Troy is brewing, and the two young men find themselves caught between their hopes for a future together and the brutal realities of the world that faces them.
- Director and Co-Creator David Morton
- Movement Director and Co-Creator Joshua Thomson
- Music by Tony Buchen and Chris Bear with Montaigne
- Music performed live by Montaigne
- Cast Stephen Madsen, Karl Richmond, Ellen Bailey, John Batchelor, Lauren Jackson, Thomas Larkin, Nic Prior, Christy Tran, Jennifer Vuletic, Charles Ball
- Creative Producer Nicholas Paine
- Co-Designers (set) Anna Cordingley and David Morton
- Designer (costume) Anna Cordingley
- Lighting Design Ben Hughes
- Sound Design Tony Brumpton
- Rigging Design David Jackson
- Puppet Design Dead Puppet Society
- Dramaturg Louise Gough
- Associate Director Matt Seery
- Associate Producers James Beach and Lauren Eisinger
- Technical Director Scott Barton
- Head Rigger Byron Cleasby
- Head of Fabrication Savannah Mojidi
- Counterweight Johnas Liu
- Production Stage Manager Lindsey Knight
- Deputy Stage Manager Nicole Neil
Dead Puppet Society The Wider Earth by David MortonRent NowDigital Stage
An ensemble cast, remarkable puppetry and cinematic projections. Don't miss this gripping tale behind one of the most important discoveries in history.
Capricorn by Aidan RowlingsonRent NowDigital Stage
Explore the tumultuous love story of Sam and Ally in this gripping play that delves into the complexities of relationships, love, and loss.
Dead Puppet Society Ishmael by David MortonRent NowDigital Stage
Experience 'Ishmael' now on Digital Stage, a captivating space odyssey intertwining a climate refugee's fate with Captain Ahab's obsession.
An Evening with Sam HeughanRent NowDigital Stage
Spend a glorious evening with award-winning actor Sam Heughan, as he recounts his journey of self-discovery along the West Highland Way.
Is That You, Ruthie?2 - 16 DecCremorne Theatre, QPAC
A raw and heartfelt portrayal of two souls navigating the depths of their shared history, adapted for stage by Leah Purcell.
In Conversation with Michael BallRent NowDigital Stage
Spend a magical evening with musical theatre star and Olivier Award winner Michael Ball in conversation.
A Christmas Carol8 - 14 DecConcert Hall, QPAC
This December, the award-winning stage spectacle – Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol – is returning to QPAC!
Spirit of Christmas on Digital Stage24 Dec 2023, 5pm AESTDigital Stage
Join us online this Christmas Eve for QPAC’s Spirit of Christmas, only available on Digital Stage!